Saturday, October 10, 2015

Communication speaks louder than WORDS!




There are many types of communication that we can use to enhance our ability to transfer information between senders and receivers. Deciding which skill to use and why will depend upon each situation. I feel that the three most beneficial communication skills are being sensitive to other cultures, being aware of non-verbal communication, and developing intercultural communication skills.
 
 Treat others like you want to be treated is no longer a statement that we should abide by because everyone is different in their own unique way but more importantly embracing diversity is the first skill that is beneficial to your professional and personal life. 
“Welcome to Moe’s!"...is what the employees yell when you walk in the door.
 Moe’s Restaurant is the epitome of how a welcome should be when a customer walks in one may think. 
However, a warm smile at the Women’s Clinic may be all that is in order.
My first mammogram appointment ever will be always remembered because of my experience before I ever made it to the office. The receptionist, a woman, was very insensitive to the fact that I was nervous. Sweaty hands and my mind was racing thinking about my maternal aunt who we loss to Breast Cancer could have been avoided by a simple welcome and please sign in. She went too far to remind me that I was late for my appointment and that they might have to reschedule the appointment. Unaware that I have been stuck in the other parking garage waiting for an attendant to let me out. I was in communication with the office from my vehicle but before I could explain to her, she had already judged me.
Knowing which way to deliver the message and to what audience is a practice that is beneficial to my professional and personal life.
Non-verbal communication skills are underestimated and not discussed as much as we should. Style of dress makes a statement to others whose expectations of you may be higher than you anticipated. In some cases when it may be a first time meeting, dress according to the topic to discussion or the event at hand.  This way the receiver will accept the sender knowing that they are on common ground.
 
Understanding that initiating mutual ground while sending and receiving messages with no judgement helps keep the intercultural messages respectful and honest. Not all will know the standards or expectations within each culture. However, communicating clearly and carefully with people from other cultures, backgrounds, belief systems, etc. will open up our society to ethical communication within the workplace and around the communities.

My Filipino Maternal-Grandmother came to the U.S. in 1948 with my African-American Grandfather whom she met while he served in the Army in Manila. She endured more than most but was more sensitive than those that were insensitive to her. But Rose still rose, knowing that hard times were like the thorns on the rose, they need to be there in order to break through the barriers to bring about a beautiful flower. Rosalina Luna came all the way across the world and didn't bring any judgment toward others with her. She valued respect and cared for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment